The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Our Garden

One of the reasons we really wanted to buy a house with a yard is to have a garden. In our apartment we enjoyed growing flowers and veggies in pots on our deck. I love getting my garden gloves dirty and watching seeds and seedlings grow a little more every day. And I love being able to go outside to get the ingredients for dinner.

We've been at this house for almost 2 years, but last year we just didn't have enough time to build our garden before planting season.

We were determined to get it done this year.

The concrete blocks we used to build it were 36 pounds each, and I lost count at about 100 blocks we needed. So Colin got weightlifting training by having to lift every block into the truck, and load every one on the wheelbarrow, load them onto the ground and then lift again to get it into place. He had help from a friend for one load but other than that he lifted TONNES. Literally.

We also needed 2 truckloads full of gravel and 3 truckloads full of soil. I must admit that I over-did myself and helped quite a bit with the shovelling of gravel and dirt, which are probably both on the pregnancy "no-no" list.

I was amazed at how Colin was able to build this wall on a sloped surface, and get it perfectly level! He did a great job!! I shouldn't be amazed though, he's good at every home reno he tries.

Here is the end result:

Notice the back left corner in the above photo. I went out for a while one day a few weeks back and I came home and Colin had done this:

He put in a pond! I had so much fun planting flowers around it!

In the garden we planted leeks, chives, basil, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, chili peppers, green peppers, jalepenos, carrots, eggplant, zuchinni and rhubarb. Along the retaining wall I planted sweet peas and sunflowers which I hope will cover the wall. Then of course in the corner of the garden is the pond and flower section.

We have sketches that we did last year for our garden ideas and it looks almost identical to our plans.

This clematis is in our front garden, not the back one, but I had to put a photo of it anyway. It's covered with about 15 of these gorgeous 6" diameter flowers!

The flowers in the front yard (in planter boxes, pots, hanging baskets and in the garden) make the house look so cheerful, and the garden in the back is our new little piece of tranquility.

8 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Looks awesome guys.

Monday, June 04, 2007 5:01:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

What a great garden! I also love getting dinner ingredients fresh, but I just stop by my father-in-law's house on the way home and pick them there! :) I do look forward to creating my own garden some day though. Yours is beautiful.

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger The Wagners said...

Wow, you two are so lucky to have a yard to play with, unlike us apartment dwellers. I too cannot wait until I have a garden of my own. The more I grow and mature the more I wonder - what's wrong with being a "domestic" wife! (as opposed to a 'career' woman).

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I HEAR YA SISTER!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:35:00 AM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Ooooh, yeah. I'm a little envious! Looks great, and how nice to have fresh vegetables! I should try doing them in pots sometime on our deck, rather than complaining that I don't have anywhere to plant a garden. :)

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:00:00 PM  
Blogger Super sleuth said...

Beautiful Nancy, I know you'll enjoy that for years to come.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Yes, love your garden! We love our community garden at Colony Farm, but you still have to get in the car and DRIVE there, which de-motivates me from time to time! It's nice to have it right there.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Very cool. We'll have to come by and check it out sometime.

Friday, June 08, 2007 8:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home