The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sickness, Transit and Chivalry

The past few days have been difficult.

You'd think at 5.75 months preggo I would be past the morning sickness thing. I am, for the most part. But then out of the blue it comes up and smacks me. Yesterday, it even made me get off the train and head back home to become one-with-the-couch for the rest of the day.

My experience trying to get home brought me to realize that transit in the Tri-Cities SUCKS. It took me over an hour to get home from Port Moody, a 10 minute drive by car. It would have taken over 2 hours if my mom didn't rescue me halfway home, as I was still 2 buses (that come every 30 minutes) and a few walks away. Thanks, mom!

Today was not much better, but unfortunately I didn't start feeling sick until after Port Moody, which meant I was stuck on the train dealing with my nausea for 25 minutes...with no stops. It wasn't fun.

Oops, I told a white lie. I already knew Tri-Cities transit sucked. Last week, people were filing on my bus. The final bus on my "4-bus and a train" journey home. Just as I was about to step on, the bus driver sticks her hand out at me and says, "Bus full, sorry", then closes the door and takes off. Leaving me to walk 30 minutes to get home. Could've waited 30 minutes for the next one, but there's no bathrooms at the station. That bus leaves people behind every day. They need another one.

One good thing is happening in transit though.

About a month ago I was offered my first seat on the bus! This is great! I even wrote it on my pregnancy calendar. I am dizzy and usually not feeling so well on transit, so I decline at first. Then when they insist, I will gladly accept the chivalrous gesture.

I am getting offered a seat almost every time I'm on a full bus now. And I have made an observation:

All the people who offered me seats have been women between the ages of about 30 and 50, so I am wagering a guess that they've all been through it themselves. BUT COME ON, MEN! Isn't it supposed to be you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

I remember finding that it was a lot of women who did it too. IT must be because they know how you feel. I loved it when people offered me a seat.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy!

I am almost embarrassed to write. It has only taken me 10 YEARS. Yet it seems like yesterday. I just read your blog about Highland dancing. It reminds me about that summer I spent with you. I guess I never wrote because it breaks my heart not to live closer and hang out more. We've spent so little time together, but I've always felt close to you. Anyway, you must know that I was married on November 19th and Benjamin was born on January 25th. I, too, was very sick in the first trimester (hello, Mr. Toilet). Ok, this could be very long, so I will find your e-mail address and write. Please forgive me for not staying in touch.
Becky xx
PS, you'll now have a dot in Europe! (Germany)

Thursday, April 26, 2007 2:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home