The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Input, Please!

Colin and I really want to go on an Alaskan cruise. We've never been on a cruise before. We've heard that the scenery is breathtaking (BC is the most beautiful place on earth in our opinion), and that the food is the BEST of any food of any other cruise.

I thought it would be perfect for us this year! I'm really hot all the time now, so Alaska sounds great about now. Plus, we both love to eat! Especially now!

A month ago I found the best deal ever on Jubilee Travel "best bets". If you booked on that one specific day, a 7-day all-inclusive leave Vancouver, and return to Vancouver was LESS THAN $500 per person, all taxes included! That's a third of regular price!!

So thinking it's some kind of heavenly sign, I booked it! While I was in the process of booking, I happened to mention that I'd be 33 weeks pregnant at the time. Then the travel agent said, "Really? Oh......You know that no cruise ship will let women who are more than 27 weeks on board?".

Me and my stupid big mouth.

Oh well. I get nauseated on the train in the morning so what makes me think 168 hours on a boat would be any better?

Someday...someday....

So instead, we are going to Vancouver Island. It has many similarities to a cruise:
  • We must take a cruise ship (er, BC ferry) to get there
  • We will be eating a lot of All-Inclusive food from Save-On
  • We will be seeing BC scenery
  • Even though we're not staying in a cabin on the cruise ship, we will still be staying at various cabins (or are they called tents?)

All sarcasm aside, I am still very excited, even though its not a cruise! Colin and I only need each other to make a trip memorable, adventureous (but not too much), exciting and relaxing! Where we go is just details.

But it's the details that I need your help with.

Has anyone ever been to a great campsite, B&B or hotel on the Island that they'd recommend? Preferably something that costs less than $150 per night, and nowhere near Tofino. We might splurge on a night or two but will most likely stick to the tent the rest of the time.

Looking forward to your input!

7 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

Oh! My friend has a place that she always suggests...I can't remember the name of it but I will find out and let you know. She always gets on our case for not going there because she loves it so much!

I hope you enjoy your trip to Vancouver Island!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I don't really have any great suggestions... we got our trip to Victoria free because of my generous parents' airmiles!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Wagners said...

I know of a great B&B on an island..
www.lodgeattheolddorm.com it is on Bowen Island. Dan Parkin runs the place and he is awesome,very friendly, and the breakfasts...oh..if you like food...I'm drooling just thinking about it! Prices are pretty reasonable rangingfrom 90$ - 140$ depending on the room (during peak season). We've been there three times and we will probably go again. Also, Bowen is nice, little artsy community and lots of walking/hiking. Might even be able to do some fishing... or maybe not?
Anywho, I'm sure whatever you do you will have a great time!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Sarah and I found a great provincial campground north of Nanaimo called Miracle Beach. Running water, showers, and you are only a short walk to the oceanside. You can watch the ferries drive by. We really enjoyed it.

Friday, June 08, 2007 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

We found a few nice inland although I don't remember what they were called. One is just down the road from Cathedral Grove and the other is around the Horne Lake area. We didn't stay at the Horne Lake one but found it while looking for a waterfall. It would be a great spot for snorkelling and cliff jumping.

If you want to add some adventure to your trip, check out airmiles. They have some whale watching and water adventures our of Victoria.

Friday, June 08, 2007 3:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaron and I stayed at "A Snug Harbour Inn" B&B in Ucuelet for our anniversary a couple years ago. Really nice place and tons of trails nearby. The owner was super nice and the breakfast was great.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

My sister stayed at this really cool place in Ucuelet. Check out her blog about it here. Ahem, don't mind the bath picture. :) http://whereintheworldismichal.blogspot.com/2007/01/cabin.html

Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home