The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Beauty Takes Time

About 5 years ago, Colin's mom gave us an orchid plant. It was an offspring of one of her plants. Just a baby, only a 2 inch tall green stem.

I am sure it is the slowest growing plant in the entire world. I've literally grown thousands of Mexican Hat plants since I got the orchid.

During the first 3 years, it didn't even double in size. It still looked like a lonely and awkward green stem. It survived 2 moves, even though each time I just about threw it out because I thought it was a dud.

It only started to grow when we moved to our house. I guess it likes its spot by the kitchen sink. It got to be 6 inches tall, but no signs of any flowers. To tell you the truth, I'd stopped looking at it, because there was nothing beautiful to see.

Then a few weeks ago, Colin noticed that it had a tiny bud!

We watched the bud closely, watered it dilligently, and saw this beauty emerge!

A lesson in patience with a sweet reward.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Wow. Turned out beautiful!

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

In case you were curious:

Of naturally occurring plants, a cycad (a gymnosperm) Dioon edule, has been reported as having the slowest growth rate: 0.76 millimeters (0.03 inches) per year. A plant with an age of 120 years measured only 10 centimeters (4 inches) tall.

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Super sleuth said...

Nancy, that's gorgeous. Great pic of it too! Wonder how long the flower lasts...

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:36:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Wow, that's gorgeous. I've got an orchid too, and I'm finding it hard to wait through the year for it's one blooming season in the warm weather. At least the flowers last for a long time!

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh good! I had no idea how long they last for! Hopefully it will greet me in the kitchen for a long time.

BTW, Colin took this photo.

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Yeah, mine bloomed for a good month or more. Though, it's a more mature plant. Who knows?

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Beautiful post. I like the whole bit about patience. I need it!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home