The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Friday, February 23, 2007

My Dancing Fling

This post is about 10 months in the making, and Amanda motivated me to finish it. She talked about how if you are a dancer, it's very hard to stop. I agreed wholeheartedly.

When I was 6, I started Highland dancing. As a kid with an endless amount of energy, I found I really enjoyed jumping around! I loved the bagpipe music and the beautiful kilts.

Highland dancing has a certain number of dances (I estimate 15) with 4 different costumes. All dancers learn the same dances the same way, so dancers all over the world are doing EXACLY the same thing you are doing. There are even comittees that get together to "change" the dances ever so slightly to keep you "on your toes". For example: Instead of looking to the side when you make a turn, THIS year, you look ahead. A picky detail to see who's paying attention to the rules and who's not.

I was hooked on competition from the first time I stepped on the stage. I had been in some musicals and choirs prior to this, so I already liked being on stage. In the first competition, I won a gold medal in the Sword dance, so I knew I'd be back for more.







At a typical competition, each dancer did 4-6 dances, then awards were given out from 1st place to 6th place. They were so much fun! I competed an average of one to two times per month, and went on 2-day competitions to Kelowna, Parksville, Bellingham, and many others. I loved how it was a family event, even though I was the only one dancing. My dad and sisters would sight-see, and my mom would faithfully watch every move I made. She was always encouraging, and was always proud of me.

Up to 12 years old, I think there were 2 competitions I entered where I did not get a medal. But then, my love for dance was tested.


At that point, I advanced to the "Premier" category, which is the highest level of competition. Once there, you compete against the best dancers in the province who are your age.

Unfortunately, there were a LOT of dancers my age who were among the best in Canada, and even the world! So when I joined that caliber of competition, I suddenly stopped winning. In the first few years, I didn't win a thing. I struggled with the thought, "What's the point? I'm never going to win". But the more I struggled with it, the more I realized that I do not dance for the medals or trophies, I dance because it's part of me.

My dancing became an act of worship. As I stood in the wings ready to go on stage, I'd thank God for giving me a body that was able to dance, and I'd dedicate each dance to Him.

After a lot of hard work, I started winning again! I worked so hard that my teacher took me and another dancer to Scotland for a month to compete there! But that's an entirely different post.

Highland dancing is extremely hard on the body! The "dancing season" lasted 11 months, and I was guarenteed to get shin splints at least once per season. A lot of the dancing is done on the toes, and I think I've broken all my toes at least once. After the first few, I didn't even go to the doctor. I'd just tape it with a popsicle stick so it would heal somewhat straight and get back to work!

My most memorable broken toe story? I was at a competition warming up before the sword dance (the hardest one on the toes) in the wings backstage when I heard a SNAP! Ow! I was next on stage, so I went up, did my dance with a smile, and didn't wince until I was off stage. I still had more dances to do that day, so I iced it until my next dance, and continued like nothing was wrong.

My main physical problem affecting dance is plantar fasciitis. The only way to describe it: it feels like someone is running a thousand knives up and down the bottom of your foot. It was really painful and I'd leave some of my competitions almost unable to walk.

I was determined though. So determined that I almost missed my own grade 12 grad dinner and dance! I had a VERY important competition that day! It was the 3rd (and last) in the series, and I had won 1st place in all dances for the other 2 competitions. So there was a chance I could win the best dancer of the series. I wouldn't want to miss THAT!

I went behind my boyfriends back to the competition, won the trophies, and hurried back to see if the limo was still waiting for me. My mom did my hair in the car, and I changed from a kilt to an evening gown on the Port Mann bridge! The limo WAS still waiting, but the boyfriend wasn't too impressed! Oh well.

Despite my determination, my body told me that it had enough in 1999. So I retired at 20. But I achieved most of the goals I had set for myself, and stopped at the top of my game.
- I won a medal in the Provincial Championships
- I won 7th overall at the "everyone EXCEPT Scotland" World Championships
- I danced in the World Championships in Scotland

The medals and trophies are in some box in the attic, probably never to be seen again, the beautiful kilts are sold off (sniff), and parts of my body are permanently damaged, but Highland Dancing is still a part of me, and I'm glad I did it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

What a great post! You were so cute! I was like, who's that little girl with the brown hair? I'm sure that dancing helped build your character too... you learn a lot in competition.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Yeah, that first picture makes me melt, and makes me so excited for Plava to grow a little older! So cute!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Super sleuth said...

I wish I could have watched you compete in your 'glory day.' Of course, I will never forget you doing the highland fling on the shores of the lake in Winthrop!

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Wagners said...

Highland dancing has always facinated me. I used to go to the highland games every year and watch the dancers. I always wanted to know how to do that, but I don't think I could handle the broken toes!
Good on you for dancing as long as you did and making it as far as you did!

Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home