The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentines Miracle

"Valentines Day" does not hold good memories for me. From sending "secret admirer carnations" in high school that weren't appreciated, to hopping from restaurant to restaurant for HOURS because someone didn't think to make reservations, my Valentines haven't been great.

I don't like the expectations. Or how you have to feel a certain way on a certain day. What if you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Will the carnations and box of chocolates you receive make you feel "lovey-dovey"? Not me. I'd rather have the $50 that he's spent on the flowers, and I've just lost the weight I gained from Christmas chocolate (although, I'll still eat a few).

Every Valentines turned out to be a disappointment, single or in a relationship.

When Colin and I had our first Valentines Day he could not hold his excitement when I told him my view. He's off the hook. We haven't had a typical "Valentines Day", although I still didn't let him work on the boat yesterday.

This year, however, Valentines Day has a whole new meaning.

I took the day off, because I was scheduled for an ultrasound. Colin was able to take a half-day so he could come with me.

We made a delicious breakfast, and had a wonderfully relaxing morning together. Then off to the ultrasound. I was so nervous.

Will there be 2? Will we hear the heartbeat? Will it look normal?

Words cannot describe the experience. It was the most incredible moment I've experienced in my whole life! We saw it (one, not two!) move around, wave it's arms, suck it's thumb, s-t-r-e-t-c-h, and kick it's legs! It's perfectly symmetrical, and all it's parts are proportional to the others, right down to it's 1.2cm long feet!

It has functioning lungs, heart, kidneys...everything is working well. It seems content swimming around and hanging out, but she did say it was quite an active one!

Surprise, surprise.

We even got 6 photos to take home and show off. I already have a favourite!

As we watched our very much alive, and tiny unborn baby, we had a reality check. A great one! There's ACTUALLY a living thing growing inside me! Also, we realized how much of a miracle God performs with each little baby He creates.


Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Thank you, Lord, for our little miracle.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Beautiful story! It's so amazing seeing the ultrasounds, isn't it? Congratulations on his/her health too!! (and on the fact that you've only got one!)

Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

What a great post! I'm enjoying following your amazing joys of pregnancy via your blog! Congrats!

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Neat! I still think it looks like Colin. (he he just kidding I know you can't tell yet, but you never know)

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home