The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Alarming Morning Call

The purpose of this post is two-fold.

1: I need to post so that the photo of the spider doesn't pop up when I open my blog.
2: I need to tell you about our alarm

We have a unique kind of wake up alarm. It doesn't beep, it doesn't play music, it doesn't flash, display the time, and we don't EVER have to set it. I guess you could say it's an "automatic alarm". I am willing to give it away if anyone wants it, since it's set to the wrong time, and we can't yet figure out how to change it.

You see, our alarm is a blue-jay. It's name is.... Alarm.... because it is just that!

At 6:03 every morning, it sits in the Laurel tree which is right outside of our bedroom window and starts to screech, and screech, and screech and SCREECH!!! I have always noticed the racket, especially since our window has been open most nights lately (allowing spiders to enter as well). But it wasn't until this week that Colin asked if I noticed that it starts screeching at the EXACT same time every day! So now every morning when we're awakened by the "song", we look at the time.

6:03.

This is just another example to me that God exists. He has pre-programmed instincts in certain animals. Predators know that they need to hunt, herbevoirs know they are born vegetarians, and blue jays know to start chirping at EXACTLY 6:03.

Do any of you readers get up at 6:03? If so, you are more than welcome to lurk around our backyard in the wee hours. When it makes it's appearance, feel free to cage it, and take it home with you. Then, and only then, will you be at peace knowing that you will wake up every morning without having to remember to set your alarm.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

There's really only one way to take care of this problem!

Chop down the darn tree!

Either that or move. The bird's not going anywhere. (I speak from experience!)

Lucky for me, I get up at 5:00 a.m., which means I am beating the birds, which means it is very unnatural for any human to be getting up at that time.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:47:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew Alexander said...

Two words: Paint-ball gun.

Well, actually, I suppose that's 3 words.

I remember the good ol' days camping with Ryan Houghton, lying in the opening of our tent in the morning (probably around 6:03am) shooting at crows with a pellet gun.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Hmm, caging a blue jay....tempting. You may see us lurking tomorrow morning. Don't be alarmed.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

I get up at almost exactly that time! You could send Alarm my way. Although I think hearing that SCREECH would start my day off on the wrong foot! I prefer the gentle cadence of News 1130.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I almost thought Laura really DID come and take it away! It didn't "go off" on the weekend, but when the week started, so did it!
Although, the time has been changing a few minutes each day (I think because of the sunrise), so now it goes off at a somewhat more tolerable 6:18!

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home