The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Jump for Joy

Jump for Joy!!! It's my birthday!!

Please stay tuned...I'll be adding photos HERE (from my MAC, not my PC) when I get home from work!

Having a birthday in the summer sucked as a kid. I'd only have a few friends at my parties because they were usually all on summer vacation, as my day is right smack in the middle of summer. And half the friends meant half the presents. It was good weather-wise though. My parties were always outside, and always involved water. Water balloons, pool of water, watermelon...

Now that I'm "grown-up" (not quite sure about that, but my age says I'm supposed to be), I think having a birthday in the summer is the best idea ever! It's even better if it happens to fall on a weekend! The past 2 years have been on a weekend (a long weekend at that!), and let me tell you, they were great days. Both...spent at Salty Shack!

Last years birthday was awesome!

I woke up that Sunday morning at Salty Shack. The friends present were: Colin, Lorene, Justin and Ryan. The MAX number of people that can fit in our boat and still stay mostly afloat. Actually, I should say "fit ON our boat", as Ryan had to sit on the bow all the way up, so he technically wasn't IN the boat.

Anyway, we got up and had a mini church service on the deck. We read some verses and sang a few songs. I love having church services outdoors, because to me, nature is a constant reminder of God! We did a bit of work around the cabin, which for some reason is way more fun than doing work around your OWN place. Somehow, Lorene managed to blow up a ton of balloons and tie them to the deck without me noticing!

When we were nice and hot from working in the beautiful sunshine, we hiked up to a waterfall (the source of our freshwater) and spent the day sunbathing beside the waterfall, and jumping in when we got too hot. It's one of those places that you wonder how many humans have actually seen it. Later, we took turns jumping off the deck into the water. The tide is quite variable there. It can come up 2 feet below the deck, and at it's lowest, you have to walk 30 feet from the deck to reach the water! Because of that, the first jump was taken with apprehension, but when we realized it was indeed deep enough, the tricks began!

For dinner, we had a crab feast (emphasis on the FEAST). We sat on the deck for a long time. Cracking the shell, scooping out the meat, eating, no... devouring the meat, and returning the shell into the ocean. After dinner, Lorene surprised me with a cake made of cupcakes! Each cupcake had one letter on it that spelled out a birthday message when they were put together!

Even though I am not off camping somewhere, I am having a terrific birthday so far! It has even involved watee like the rest of my birthdays...only this time it is falling from the sky!
Now that we have a backyard, and more than 3 people can fit in our place, we had the fam over to OUR place yesterday. The kids make it so fun!

  • My little 1 year old nephew Max took some steps by himself...even if it was only to get to his cousin so he could beat him on the head with a piece of lego
  • He also said his 3rd word, which I taught him yesterday! KICK! We were playing soccer with a body ball...not kicking his cousin.
  • My 5 year old nephew Davis asked me for a hot dog with no meat. Huh? Apparently the "hot dog" refers to the bun, and the "meat" is the weiner. I'll remember that for next time. Yum. Bun with ketchup!
  • My 8 year old niece Jacey saying "That's not how you play! I am the boss of this game!", with a smile, of course!

So today is my actual birthday, and I am sitting at work sucking back a fruit juice and eating leftover potato salad.

I have a date tonight though, so the day is not lost! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Alexander said...

Happy Birthday!

It's not fun (as a kid) having a birthday in the middle of winter and Christmas either! Stupid combined birthday/Christmas presents!

Hope you have a great day!

Monday, July 31, 2006 3:06:00 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Monday, July 31, 2006 9:23:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Happy Birthday, Nancy! I had no idea your birthday was so close to Plava's. (her's is the 5th) I hope you have a fantabulous date tonight. ENjoy it!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks everyone :-D

I did have a great date night at the Olive Garden...yum yum!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 3:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home