The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Friday, August 18, 2006

The dog...Pet or Accessory?


I saw 3 dogs on my 15 minute bus commute downtown this morning.

One looked like a fat, mangy squirrel, and was being carried by his owner. Ok maybe not quite as ugly as this dog!

One was a golden retriever, and was being towed on a bed with wheels behind a bike. He had a harness on and had 5 or 6 bungee cords strapping his harness to his chariot.

The last one was a mid size dog, which was also being carried by it's owner.

I thought that dogs like and NEED exercise. Most dogs are exuberant and full of energy. Yet the 3 dogs I saw today are being coddled, and making their owner do all the work for them. I know that there's probably a good reason why these dogs weren't doing any work, but it made me wonder...where do you draw the line between pet and accessory?

Curious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

Hi! I'm making a comment just because I can!
I have just one thing to say about dogs: People, clean up after your dogs! And, if you can't do that, please give your dog away to a person who will! This message comes from my shoes, who are tired of being scraped clean of the 'neers!!!!!

Friday, August 18, 2006 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew Alexander said...

I'm not a dog person, at all.. but I think that a dogs are not meant to be picked up at all. That's what you do with cats.

So I'd say that a dog (that's not a puppy) that you can pick up in your arms, I'd consider an accessory, and a dog you can't lift (or wouldn't ever want to ie, and big german shepherd) is a pet.

But that's just my opinion, though.

Don't even get me started on dogs that are carried in purses with little plastic windows... SNAP!!

Friday, August 18, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

I'm a big dog lover myself. Though that picture makes me unsure of dogs in general. That's sick!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home