The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Rodent Rodeo

Our latest holiday with the Keitches is now passed. The were here for some fun, and now they are not :-(
But as promised, I have some crazy stories about our adventures!

Salty Shack (the cabin where we were) isn't the most...oh, what's the word....sanitary? Devoid of creepy crawlies? We arrived there last Wednesday evening, excited to see it still standing! So we went inside and....spiders EVERYWHERE! There are always some spiders there, but THIS time, they were having a conference in the cabin.

I hate spiders. I'll take a snake over a spider anyday.

The boys went to go hook up the water, and Lorene and I went nuts with the raid. I think we may have emptied a good half-can in 10 minutes. Luckily, the raid did the deed, and we were not plagued with the 8 legged devils at all for the remainder of the trip!

The rodents, however, had a more sinister agenda.

Maybe it's because we smoked the poor bats out of their dwellings (underneath the shingles of the exterior cabin walls), or maybe because it was blind as a bat, but one bat got into the cabin. None of us saw it get in. I just looked up and saw the thing moving overhead. I wish I had a video to show. I am not afraid of bats. But when they are divebombing your head when you are inside a building, I challenge you not to scream! The girls were screaming whenever it got within 4 feet of us, and the guys were trying to coax it out the door by gently suggesting with a towel which way it should go. At least that's what I think happened. It's all a blur. He was quite cute though. I'd have one as a pet if they don't carry rabies, bite, or fly around. When we finally managed to get it outside we laughed so hard! "Only at Salty Shack!".

The first night there, I heard mice. There were no mouse traps set. The second night we forgot about them. Then the third night...

Colin put their favorite peanut butter snack on the trap as bait, and we went to bed. Not 10 minutes later we hear this "tap tap tap tap tap" of the miniature mice toenails scurrying across the lino. "Tap tap tap tap WHACK taptaptap.. tap..... tap........tap............."

Their rodeo ended.

Be thankful I do not have photos on THIS post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home