The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Monday, September 15, 2008

The Teleconference

As part of my job, I have to take 10 hours of "continuing education" classes per year. I'm a little behind. I've had, oh, 3 hours in the past 2 years (mostly thanks to my mat leave). I have some catching up to do.

I used to hate the rule because I don't get paid for that time (and sometimes will actaully have to PAY for it), but I'm actually learning to like it. I do like to learn and find health issues fascinating, whether they relate to my job or not.

The other day, there was a province-wide teleconference I attended. I was very interested in the topic, and found it informative. But amist the knowledge lightening bolts being thrown at me, I found myself distracted.

If any readers have ever attended a teleconference, you'll understand.

At the front of the room, there were 3 big screens. BIG screens. About 180" each, I'd guess. 2 showed the powerpoint presentation, and then there was the other one.

It was divided into 4 sections. Each section was filming a room in other hospitals in BC. WHY are the other audiences are FILMED as they listen to the lecture?? It's pointless and distracting. If someone knows why, please let me know. Whatever the reason, they do it. And I find myself people watching:

Section 1: Some guy sat alone in a big room full of chairs. One guy (possibly a doctor or maybe someone trying to earn "continuing education" credits) in the entire hospital showed up. He sat there motionless for most of the presentation. I kept wondering if he was awake. I wanted to poke him.

Section 2: One guy sits alone. Then a lady enters and sits with him and they chat for a few minutes while the speaker is talking. When the lady finally looks up, she notices she's in front of the camera and she quickly runs away. Enter another guy. The two men chat and chat and chat and chat. At the end of the lecture one guy gives the speaker a "thumbs up" as if he actually listened to it.

Section 3: A lot of people in lab coats who didn't do anything notable. They knew they were on camera and couldn't escape it. Possibly a rent-a-crowd?

Section 4: My personal favourite. There was NO ONE in the room full of chairs. NO ONE at all. Why didn't they turn off the camera? We (well maybe just me) stared at that empty room wondering... THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN....a lady comes in the room. She looks under some tables and spies her prey. AN EXTENSION CORD. She walks right infront of the camera, and bends down infront of the camera (yes, a butt shot), steals the cord and scurries out of the room. It took everything in me not to laugh.

Good times, good times. I wonder what I'll learn next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home