The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Five Ring Circus


So far, the true north strong and free isn't showing their strength. Day 5 of the Olympics, and not a single Canadian foot has been on a podium. I understand how the States and China are winning so many medals. They've got such a huge mass of people to choose from to send to the Olympics (compared to Canada). And it sort of helps that China recruits its athletes when they are pre-tween and train them to be olympic robots. The half-million incentive doesn't hurt either.

I don't think Canada should do this, however. I don't want to pay more tax so the olympians could get a huge payout.

But I still wonder why countries I've never heard of like Azerbaijan, Georgia (I thought it was a US state until its recent conflict with Russia) and Togo (which I though was the "house brand" of The Bay) are getting on the podium and we are not.

I also wonder the rationalle behind deciding the events that are in the Olympics.

Shooting is a sport? I thought people went to jail for that.
Equestrian? The horses are doing most of the work.
Boxing? I thought the Olympics promote peace.

And where do you draw the line?

There's baseball, basketball, and football but not cricket.
There's tennis, table tennis and badminton but not squash and raquetball.
There's wrestling, judo and taekwondo but not karate.

What about more watersports? It IS the SUMMER Olympics afterall.
Surfing, wakeboarding, waterskiing?

My last beef is the coverage. You have to be a raccoon or a bat to watch it because all of the good stuff is on at 3am. All I get to see is basktball (yay, I can see that anytime[as if I'd want to]), and beach volleyball (which I only think is in there to boost amount of people watching it by making the girls wear tiny outfits).

Well, go Canada go! Let's not get skunked!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

Kevin and I have an agreement. Since the ratio of the population of the States to Canada is about 300 million to 30 million, we have have decided that Canada should get one medal for every 10 that the States gets...I still have faith that Canada is going to come back and get some medals...these just haven't been the events they are strong in! AND, just wait until those winter Olympics in 2010...the Canadians really excel at the winter sports, plus it will be on home turf! I think it will be a different experience.

I agree with you on the sports. I wonder how they decide.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home