The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Friday, April 13, 2007

What's that Smell?


Being pregnant has significantly heightened my sense of smell. Luckily, I haven't been bothered by a smell enough to throw up, but have been close many times.

I started noticing it when Colin was pouring a glass of orange juice in the kitchen, and I could smell from the living room what he was pouring.

I've discovered some new smells.

Construction worker smell: The smell of dust and drywall mixed with a bit of dirt and B.O. I CANNOT sit beside them on the bus. If there is a construction worker within 10 feet of me I have to breathe through my mouth, or smell my hand when I inhale. Colin has been working on a construction site on and off for a few weeks. I can't get too close until he takes a shower.

Lead Finger smell: People whose fingers are so heavy that they can't spritz on just a bit of perfume. Instead of a "Pfft" spray, it ends up being a "Pffffffffffffffffft, Pffffffffffffffft" spray. A more pleasant smell than construction worker smell, but has the same effect.

The other day on the train I sat next to a lead finger lady and I felt so sick by the time I got to my stop. I vowed never to sit next to her again. Then this morning I saw her walking towards me. "Don't sit here", I was screaming in my head. She walked right past me. About 30 seconds after she was out of sight, the unmistakable smell of her noxious perfume attacked me. I never would have smelled that before I was pregnant.

Today on the bus, I was sitting beside a man who did not smell nice. Then two women came and stood in front of me. They only had a "Pfft" spray on, and it smelled so good that I actually had my nose turned to them so I could smell them instead.

Coffee suffocation smell: The smell of coffee used to take me to my "special place", but now it makes me feel like I'm in a coffin. It seems to surround me and suffocate me.

As I was eating my sushi lunch, I had 2 different kinds of soy sauce. I opened both and could tell without even trying that one had more salt than the other.

Smells aren't always bad though. On the first few days of spring, I was overloaded with the smell of the grass, flowers and blossoms. I've never smelled spring like that before! Now hopefully it will come back so I can smell it again.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

I love that picture. What is that creature?

Friday, April 13, 2007 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Smells! I remember that well. I remember walking to the bus stop after work, taking in the various smells of dinner cooking in the buildings around me. I had never smelled so strongly before then!

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:26:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Um, it's some kind of monkey. I think.

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

Oh I hear you on this one! My worst smell is when I walk down the main steps in the school after lunch. Ugh...all of the students' lunches mingling together and the smell of their teenage horomonal body odor! It literally makes me gag and I have to run to my room while breathing through my mouth.

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I forgot to mention the worse smell of all!

Human chimney smell: I have always been sensitive to cigarette smoke smell but it's exponential now. I dragged a butt in to my office on the tread of my boots. When I noticed it on the floor I put it in the garbage can. The smell drove me so crazy that I had to take out the garbage before I could feel better.

Colin made me look up the "creature" to see what it really was. I guess some kind of monkey wasn't good enough! It's a Proboscis Monkey, native of Borneo.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger The Wagners said...

I can identify with you on the lead-finger people. I'm not pregnant and I can't stand them, especially when I feel my allergies coming on. Elderly women and teeny-boppers seem to be the worst offenders, oh and Metro-men. I sometimes wonder if people with lead fingers even have a sense of smell!

Monday, April 16, 2007 1:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home