The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Merry Christmas

This year, my sister and her family (hubby and 2 kids) are going to Hong Kong for 6 weeks, and they leave next week. They'll be gone over Christmas. It'll be the first Christmas EVER I've had without my sister.

So my parents decided "Let's have Christmas before they go!".

They didn't just mean a gift exchange either. They meant a FULL Christmas! The works!

I thought it was a little too much when their Christmas lights went up at the beginning of November. Following that, their Christmas tree went up and was decorated on the Rememberance Day long weekend.

But then, I started to get into it! I spent a day off decorating a gingerbread house and doing Christmas crafts with my niece and nephew. I took 2 Christmas card making classes, and they're already addressed and ready to go! I had to Christmas shop for them too, but why not Christmas shop for everyone on my list at the same time? I spent Friday doing my Christmas baking with my mom and sister, so if we ration properly, I won't have to make any more (not likely).

And what the hey, why don't we put up OUR Christmas tree too? It just wouldn't feel like a genuine Christmas without it! I am actually surprised that Colin suggested this. His birthday is on Dec 8, and he usually doesn't want to put the tree up until after that. Nevertheless, Colin and I did just that! We decorated our tree this week, following our traditions: Nancy wore a headband with reindeer antlers, we drank hot chocolate, put on a Christmas CD, and we talked about the ornaments and the special meaning behind each one of them.

Since today is Christmas Eve, I spent the morning wrapping Christmas gifts. So I wrapped all the ones I've bought... even the ones that won't be given until the REAL Christmas.

I could definately get used to having Christmas early! My shopping is almost done (in UNCROWDED malls with PARKING SPACES, I might add!), my wrapping is nearly done, I have baked my goodies, and my cards are ready. Our Bible Study started a Christmas study this past week too, which shows the actual locations in the story of Jesus' birth. The perfect thing to get us thinking about the "reason for the season". No one knows exactly when Jesus was born anyways, so there's a possibility that we're celebrating on His real birthday!

So, tomorrow is the big turkey day! And SNOW is in the forecast! I happened to see a few flakes today, so we might very well have a White Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!

5 Comments:

Blogger Super sleuth said...

OK, that's pretty bizarre thinking of today as 'Christmas Eve', although I must admit it sounds pretty appealing to have all your shopping and cards done, everything wrapped and even your baking done. You make me sick... We have now had our tree up for a week but haven't had time to decorate since last weekend. Maybe tomorrow night we'll decorate.
Enjoy Christmas #1 tomorrow. Merry Christmas!

Saturday, November 25, 2006 8:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!!!

Saturday, November 25, 2006 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

So Christmas was today, and it was exactly like a normal Christmas, except for one thing...

IT WAS WHITE!!!!

Family fun, a yummy yummy turkey dinner, and 5 inches of snow! What could've been better?

Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Yes, we were thinking of you guys that day, as the big flakes were coming down.

The first year we were married, Steve and I put up our tree in mid-November, because we were just so excited to have our first Christmas together.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU'RE the reason it's snowing... I get it now...!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home