The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Happy" Halloween?

Does anyone else think that the expression "Happy Halloween" is a little odd? How can a holiday that includes skeletons, witches, bats, devils, and spiders be "HAPPY"?? Take this house in my neighbourhood, as an example.

There are 12 life size skeletons on their front yard. 12! Not clean white skeletons, but skeletons that are a mottled browny colour. Two are sitting on a park bench with their arms around each other. One is in the ground, with just its limbs sticking up above the grass. 3 look like they're being hanged. I can't remember what the others are doing.

What on earth do you say to your kids when they ask "Mommy, why are those bones coming out of the ground?" or "How come that lady had a knife in her head?".

I don't remember the gross parts of Halloween from when I was a kid. This is what I remember:
Step 1: pick out an elaborate costume that my mom would gladly make
Step 2: go trick or treating 3 weeks early with Angela to see if any neighbours have their candy yet, and return home disappointed
Step 3: plan out a route entitiled "How to grab the most candy in the least amount of time" with my sisters and Angela
Step 4: come home halfway through trick-or-treating and drop off the gross candy (like those black candies in the orange wrappers) so mom and dad could give that out and save the good stuff for us
Step 5: the candy trade when the night it over (including giving mom all the tootsie rolls as her "Halloween Payment")
Step 6: take an actual inventory of how many of each candy I had, and count it multiple times a day to ensure that my sister hadn't been snitching any (my stash was in my underwear drawer, that's gross)

That being said, I hope everyone has a good day doing the fun and happy things that Halloween does offer: dressing up either you or your kiddies (I hope to see some adorable Plava photos soon), eating sugar, and spending time with friends or family! And for those of us who get to see kids, lets try to show them the brighter side of Halloween, without the blood, guts and gore!

Drive safe!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with everyone hating tootsie rools? Delicious!!!

Oh, and Plava's photos are up! :)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, I don't hate the tootsie rolls! Mom just LOVES them so we gave them to her. We might have kept a few to ourselves...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that leaves me a little more relieved! I snatched some of ours before we gave them all away this evening. I kept wondering whether the kids were thinking, "oh great - those sick tootsie rolls."

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Ewwwww. Tootsie Rolls! (just kidding) (actually no I'm not)

I agree that Halloween can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you make it. I have fond memories of trick-or-treating in cold snowy Medicine Hat. My dad would drive us around in the van, because it was so cold, and no one could see our costumes because of our parkas. So I think it's great that people out here can enjoy the warm(er) weather and make a family tradition out of it.

I think (if I had kids, ahem ahem), I would help them pick out or make a fun lighthearted costume, and take them around our complex.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home