The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Anyone SAD?


Seasonal affective disorder
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, also known as winter depression is an affective, or mood, disorder. Most SAD sufferers experience normal mental health throughout most of the year, but experience depressive symptoms in the winter or summer. SAD is rare, if existent at all, in the tropics, but is measurably present at latitudes north of 30°N, or south of 30°S.

Seasonal mood variations are believed to be related mostly to light, not temperature. For this reason, SAD is prevalent even in mid-latitude places with mild winters, such as Seattle and Vancouver. Prolonged periods of overcast weather can also exacerbate SAD.

SAD can be a serious disorder and may require hospitalization.

MY THOUGHTS ON THIS:

I'm sure I have this. Actually, I think everyone who lives in Vancouver has this! You'd think that as residents of the city we'd be used to it, but not a day goes by in the winter where I don't hear complaining about the weather. Usually it's me.

Even on the overcast, although nice and WARM day we had on Sunday, I heard people say, "UGH, it was so overcast today". At least my poor umbrella got a break!

I always have problems with this that start in January and last until the sun comes out. It's so dreary and wet!

In last Sunday's torrential downpour, my parents had to put SANDBAGS in front of their back door, because the entire backyard was a lake! We've never seen it like that in the 25 years they've lived there! They phoned Home Depot to get some sandbags, then find out that they sell the empty bags for sand...but they don't sell sand. You know their slogan, right? "You Can Do It, We Can Help".

So they had to use grocery bags and steal the sand from the grandkid's sandbox. Unfortunately it wasn't good enough, and the water went over the bags and into the basement. Lucky for them, they'd piled blankets in front of the door, which managed to sop up all the water that came in.

I also think commuters get SAD more. I take 1 car, 2 trains, 5 buses (at least), walk for 20 - 30 minutes and wait exposed to the elements for goodness knows HOW long to get to and home from work. It's tough when you get to work with your pants half wet, windblown frizzy hair, soaking socks and freezing to the bone.

The definition mentions that SAD can require hospitalization. I, however, WORK at a hospital, so this will not do the trick for me. I just want to get away! If I had the money in my pocket, I'd be sitting on a lounge chair on a white sandy beach of the Mayan Riviera, half in the water to cool down my legs. I'd have my bathing suit and sunglasses on, and a Pina Colada (virgin, of course) in each hand.

But instead, I sit at my desk, with goosebumps that haven't gone away since November 24, 2006.
So this brings me to a question. Why do I live here if I can't stand the weather so much?
Hmmm.
Hmm.

Lets consider the alternatives:
  • Any more North and I'd be covered in snow still
  • Any more South and I'd be in the States
  • Any more West and I'd be on an Island with even worse weather
  • Any more East and I'd be in the Prairies

Enough said.

Now that I've got that off my chest...

Spring starts tomorrow! And any day Vancouver will start to brighten up, and show another colour besides grey. Then my blogging will pick up because I'll actually feel motivated to go outside and do crazy things!

6 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

The first winter that I moved here I had a VERY difficult time with this. Having grown up in South Dakota, I was used to cold but SUNNY and BRIGHT WHITE winters. My first winter just about did me in. I have learned to adjust though. I now know that when we DO have a sunny day I have to take advantage of it. When the sun peaks through the clouds as I am making my long drive to and from work I do not put down my visor or put on my sunglasses, instead I bask in it. I get out and take a walk if possible and I try to find other things to bring light into my life!

Once summer in the Lower Mainland hits I realize...it's totally worth it! I have lived a lot of places and traveled to many more and I have yet to find a place that is as stunning as the Lower Mainland in the late spring and summer. When my family came up for my July wedding a few years ago they could not stop saying, "Wow, how beautiful!" My little sister now plans to make a yearly summer trek up here just to enjoy the beauty of BC.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

SEE? All I had to do was whine a bit...and now it's SUNNY outside! Can't wait to get out there!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

1 - There are now special "anti-SAD lights" marketed now, that you sit on your desk next to you. Sort of like having your own personal sun on your desk.

2 - I want to run and play in that field of daisies.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a short comment about parts of the island: the weather can actually be better than in Vancouver, either because of wind blowing the weather by (like in Victoria) or protection from the elements (like around Qualicum Beach)... The island might be a good option if you can find work and do not mind leaving behind family and friends (I would definitely struggle with this part of it!).

Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Family and friends are the main reason why I've only lived in one city!

Tried to move one city to the East, but couldn't!

Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

We have concocted an antidote.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home