The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Shameless Plug

Last week, Colin and I went out with my parents to celebrate their anniversary! We've made a tradition of double-dating on their special day (why they'd want to spend it with us, I don't know). This is the second year in a row we've been to the Bella Vita in Maple Ridge.

It made such an impression that I am writing about it a week later on my blog.

My description of the place would have to include the words "retro fine dining". The atmosphere is set up like an expensive restaurant would have been set up in the 70's. I know, I know. I never actually went to a fancy restaurant in the 70's, but thanks to TV and movies, I can just picture it! There are chandeliers and candles, and the waiters are dressed up in black and white suits.

It's dressy enough to wear a dress, and casual enough to wear jeans, which just happens to be perfect for Colin and I!

The service was good. The waiter said "excuse me" at the beginning of every sentence, which got tiring after a while, but his querkiness made up for it. Colin had his glass in his hand, with it halfway up to his mouth, and the waiter poitely took it away from him, filled it, and gave it back. "Wow", I thought, "Is he going to feed us too?".

Now onto the food.....

On the menu is $33 crab dinners, $25 salmon or halibut dinners, or spend $8 for a few oysters, but why would anyone order from the regular menu when theres a... (drumroll please) ....SPECIAL MENU! Look at their website http://www.thebellavita.net/, and click "specials" on the left. You choose any appy, main course AND dessert for $19.50! And the food is AMAZING, with very large portions.

I starved myself almost the whole day in preparation for going. They give you warm seed rolls to begin with (we ended up getting at least 2 each because we inhaled them so fast). This time I tried french onion soup for the appy and Sole stuffed with shrimp and spinach covered in a creamy dill sauce for a main course. LOVED IT. Mom and dad had prime rib with the most gargantuan yorkshire pudding I've ever seen, and Colin had the messiest thing on the menu...ribs. All were delicious.

By the time dessert came I was SO glad I ordered the light and fluffy chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce instead of the lemon shortcake everyone else had.

Drooling yet?

You know it's a good restaurant when the following things happen after the meal:
1. You don't stop at Wendy's for a bite to eat on the way home.
2. You go home and just sit in front of the TV because that's all your body can handle.
3. You tell your friends that they MUST go.

So that is what I'm doing! Bon Appetite!

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Wow, that sounds good. And I'm not even a big seafood lover!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home