The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Fun and Pain


What a weekend! On Saturday, our Bible Study group went to play in Hatzic Lake! We went tubing, kneeboarding, waterskiing and wakeboarding! I tried wakeboarding for the first time, and had so much fun! I picked it up pretty quickly (I assume due to my snowboarding background), and I even got some air off the wake a few times! And surprisingly, no bad wipeouts. I left that up to Colin.

Colin and Steve had "Kneeboard Wars", which was funny to watch! They were spraying each other with water at the beginning, then it turned into a gentle shove here and there. But by the end, they were tackling each other into the water! One of Colin's wipeouts (aka FACEPLANT) on the wakeboard caused his contact to eject from his eye, so we had to go into Mission and beg an optometrist for another. Which reminds me of a story...


On our honeymoon (nearly 5 years ago now) we went to the Mayan Riviera. On the first day there, my contact ripped and I didn't pack an extra one. Thus started our very own "Amazing Race" experience! We had to look through the Spanish yellow pages (we don't know Spanish) to find an optometrist. When we found one (about half an hour away), we asked the bus driver from our hotel to take us there, and he wouldn't. He only took us as far as the "touristy area" goes, then we were on our own to taxi and walk to find it. Luckily, we found it! The optometrist was helpful, and although she didn't speak any English, I still managed to get the right strength of contact lens and enjoy the week! I guess we are even now.

Back to the present time...

Saturday was awesome! Then Sunday came. Started off good with a great message at church. Then we had to go Colin's last softball game of the season. I haven't played this year because last year I sprained my ankle and got really bad roadrash up my arm. I've decided to take it a little easier with my body this year.

At the game, the opposing team was short one girl, so they would have to forfeit the game because they didn't have enough. Long story short...I volunteered to cross lines and play with the other team. Luckily I remembered how to catch, and throw, and despite my aching body from the watersports, I was even swinging ok! Then during the first inning...


Ouch. Yup, a beautiful shiner! I could actually feel my brain hit my skull. This pic is not too bad. You should see it today!

It wasn't anyone's fault really, just one of those things where the ball bounces in a weird unexpected angle. I pretended to be tough (because I'm really not) and finished the game. We won, with no direct help from me beacuse I was pretty distracted (and because I sort of suck). The thunder and lightening storms started just before our game and finished as we were ending. It was nerve wracking being at the top of a hill holding a metal bat when there is lightening nearby.

I am NOT enjoying having to explain how I got this lovely shiner to everyone I see today. "No, it WASN'T my husband!". Still feel a bit woozy and have a nice headache. I am never subbing in a softball game ever again. Who named is "softball" anyway?

4 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Ouch! That does look painful. I'd like to play again someday but just one more reason why maybe I shoudn't.

Monday, June 12, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Oh Nancy, you could make up some seriously good stories about that shiner!! :)

Your picture of the bs group made me miss you guys!!! How is everyone doing??

And about the wakeboarding....um, I think you must just be good at it. I was a snowboarder when I tried wakeboarding and let me tell you - I sucked. I hardly even got up at all. It was pathetic. So count yourself talented missy.

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Justin, you should know by now that I am just a magnet for disaster! If something CAN go wrong, it probably WILL! Seriously though, it does seem like a really dangerous sport, from all the injuries I've seen/experienced!

Laura, people are doing well. Marilee in her last "school semester" then is graduating in December after a practicum. Hares bought the property at Hatzic that we were at. Rhonda went casual nursing so she doesn't have to work nights. Edens are going on the Mexico missions trip in June/July. Brief synopsis!

Monday, June 12, 2006 3:06:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew Alexander said...

Nice water pics! I tried wakeboarding once... but the boat was going too slow and I dragged just under the water, so it wasn't fun.

Good job on the eye! If you put on costume makup on the other eye to match, you'd almost look like a participant in Cirque du Soleil! :)

Monday, June 12, 2006 4:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home