The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ok Let Me Have It...

OK OK I know. I have bashed facebook left right and center. I thought it was ONLY used to reconnect with high school pals, which I am not really interested in doing. But I have now seen the good side.

I had lost touch with a very good friend. She was my matron of honour at my wedding. We didn't even lose touch for any good reason. Could it be my hatred towards talking on the phone?? But Colin found her and her husband on facebook and we've reconnected over dinner, and we got to introduce Nathan and re-meet her children. That's awesome!

And I have a cousin in Germany and one in the States (sorry Julie I don't remember which state you moved to....) whom I'd like to "talk" to more often. I've only met them a handful of times, but we just "click". They're new moms too.

And it just seems like so many people use it as their email now. And photo storage. I read blogs to get updates and it says "See facebook for my photos".

I am not going to use it to become "friends" with everyone I've met in my entire life. I am not going to use it to make empty "we should get together for coffee" invitations.

I don't have hours on end to spend at the computer, so I don't know if I will even be able to maintain it. We'll see.

Man, I don't think I'm ever going to hear the end of all the scrutiny I'm going to get for joining.....

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Congrats for holding out this long and only giving in rationally. It can be a time-waster, but it has its good side as well, as you've seen. Sorry about posting my photos on Facebook now, but Facebook galleries are visible without joining, and the whole tagging thing is just too much fun. What a great idea to be notified whenever someone "tags" you in a photo. Anyways, have fun, but don't get too sucked in. Oh, and a forewarning: Don't add the SuperWall or FunWall. I've never added them myself, but they seem to me to be the Facebook equivalent of email forwards. Yuck.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

It is easy to post photos on Facebook...many at once, that is. I use it for my family to send them photos of what we've been up to when I don't want to post hundreds of pics on my blog. It works well that way. I did try to add you as a friend...you can reject me if you want to though! :) I won't be offended.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Super sleuth said...

I like that I know who can look at my Facebook page and who can't. With my blog, I'm almost 100% sure that no one I don't want looking at it is, but there is no way of controlling the access.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

There's also a plugin for posting photos directly from iPhoto making it super easy to post whole galleries at once.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Welcome to Facebook, Nancy! I'm happy you're there because then I can see what Nathan's looking like these days.

Beware, though, people. When you upload photos to Facebook, Facebook then owns the photos and even deleting them won't change it. That's what I've heard, at least.

Hasn't stopped me from posting photos though!! :)

Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

So you gave in, eh? Well, no big deal, I have been on there a couple of times under my fake alias. Under the shroud of my disguise, I can hereby spy on everyone's little thumbnail picture.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home