The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Monday, April 06, 2009

Hunting Time

Yay! I survived my simultaneous cold, flu, sinus infection and eye infection and got better in time for junk week! No better timing than that.

It really is one of my favourite yearly activities! Click HERE for an explanation of my obsession.

Here's what I got so far:

- a nice crib for new baby
- excellent condition rocking horse perfect size for Nathan
- lots and lots of toys for Nathan
- bag of clothes for Nathan
- $40 worth of building supplies that Colin ALMOST bought last week
- lots of Christmas & birthday ribbon (all of mine comes from Junk week. I never buy it)
- another tobaggan (Come on Colin, we have enough now)
- The Smoothie Bible cookbook
- Japanese tea set
- other stuff Colin was interested in (ie, live bait traps, fishing rods, antique fishing gear)

The quality of junk was pretty good! A lot of the people had garage sales on the weekend, and just pushed all the leftover treasures to the end of the curb, where I go and save it from the landfill!

Over the years, we have most definately come out ahead because of junk week. For example, we got a drafting table one year that I used as a scrapbook table. But when we converted the scrapbook room to Nathan's room, we had to sell it. Made $80 or so.

I don't know why I share this info. Because really, I don't want you to go Junk Hunting. If you DO go, there's less junk for me! I think I promote it because it is so much fun once you get over the initial "I can't believe I'm looking through other people's junk" thought. And all this perfectly good stuff is going to a landfill. So why not recycle and save some bucks in the meantime!?!

Come on, go out and try! You just might find what you're looking for! Which I may add, you never know what it is you're looking for until you find it.

4 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

I wish Maple Ridge had junk week....oh ya people just pile all their junk on their yards and leave it there-no need to get rid of it ;)

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 5:12:00 PM  
Blogger Super sleuth said...

So jealous that once again I don't get to do junk week! It was my favourite week of all times and I haven't gotten to do it forever!! And Junk Cup sure looked like a blast. Have fun!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

Every year that you post about junk week, I think, I WANT TO DO THAT!! Let me know a week in advance next year, will ya? I promise not to take anything that you want. :)

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:46:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Coquitlam junk week is May 4 - 7, so come out and hunt, Laura! I'm sure the kids will like it too (but they take up valuable space in the car).

Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home