The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

ER visit #3 of 2009

Colin asked me to take out the garbage on Monday night and I playfully say back, "no way, I did 8 loads of laundry in the past 2 days" so out he goes. Next thing I know, he's practically screaming and hopping into the house.

The garbage can knocked down a futon frame we have leaned up against the wall (it's there cuz ONE DAY we'll have enough room to throw it out...better yet, anyone want it?) and it came crashing down onto the top of his bare foot.

When I saw it, I just about threw up. It looked like someone sawed a greenish/yellow softball in half and stuck it on his foot, it was THAT swollen! Also had some puncture wounds, but not a whole lotta red stuff came out so it's probably still in the softball. I'm not permitted to post a photo of it so that's why it's being described in such detail!

Parts of his foot turned black and blue almost instantly. I raced around the house as calm as a panicked chicken to find him some ice, T3's and Advil. I was in such a frenzy that I had to calm myself down in order to give him a pill from the correct prescription bottle. He didn't need morning sickness relief or meds to make him lactate, after all.

It didn't take too long for us to realize he had to get to the hospital. I've never seen an injury like that and assumed his foot was broken, so when Grandma showed up to look after our sleeping boy, we left.

Colin's a trooper. He was like, "Yay, I get to ride in a wheelchair" when we got there. HA! His sense of humour was not suffering!

We waited and waited and waited, like you do in "emergency rooms" (kinda an oxymoron, eh?) and finally the doc came back with the results. Doc looked absolutely shocked when he said it wasn't broken. The guy waiting in the chairs next to us loudly exclaimed, "WHAT??!?! THAT'S not BROKEN?!??!". Obviously others are people-watching us as much as we're people-watching them.

So he has to just ice and ice so the swelling comes down.

I had to take the next day off because he can't walk, and he needed to get to the store to rent crutches, and had Nathan to get to Grandma's house somehow. So I was his chauffeur, and even went to school with him (I'm his business partner so am allowed to attend any of the seminars I want to). It was kinda fun.

So obviously he can't do anything at home so I had a busy evening trying to cook dinner with Nathan running around and then trying to clean up with Nathan running around. When all of a sudden, Nate tripped and hit the corner of a doorway and fell to the ground. He got a yet another goose egg on his head, and his nose bled. Thank goodness THAT didn't break either. I don't know what it is with my family and being accident prone...

I don't even know how either of them are doing today though, since I leave before any other eyes are open at my house, so I just hope for the best.

My goodness, what's next?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, what's next? I shouldn't have asked. I didn't have to wait long for an answer though...a termite infestation is the next challenge.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

Oh dear my friend, it sounds like time for another dinner delivery...what would you like?

Monday, June 15, 2009 8:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home