The Roth Spot

A spot where you can read some potentially over-exaggerated stories of fun, thoughts and mishaps.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thanks, Canucks

We were contacted by Point-To-Point Destinations last week to attend a 2nd timeshare presentation with them. Personally, I am through with those...at least for awhile.

The last place we went to gave us a free two night stay in Yaletown (midweek). We actually would be going next week. Since it was mid-week, I'd be commuting about 10 minutes to get to work which I was super excited for. They asked for a $30 booking fee. Apprehensively, we paid it. $15 a night is awesome still. Then when our confirmation came, they said that the $30 fee was for a motel north of Vancouver, and to stay in Yaletown we need to pay another $100. AS IF!! We didn't pay and demanded our $30 back. And we got it. Phew.

But we'd been to this place before, and knew their gifts were legit. They offered us two round 3 playoff tickets for $99 if we came and listened to the same 90 minute presentation as before.

So Colin dragged me down. I wasn't even going to the game, so whoever Colin takes owes me BIG TIME.

We get there and meet our salesman. The guy who's trained to suck the money right out of us. He's actually not slimy like most. A nice guy with a brand new daughter, so at least we had something to talk about (I did change the subject when the words "breast feeding" came up).

He was surprised that we were asked to come down a second time (first time was when we were pregnant with Nathan - read about it here). He said there was something written on our file that indicated we were interested the first time, but couldn't make a decision then.

I wonder what was written? What part of "We're only here for the Canucks tickets" did they not understand?

Since I am "done" with these, I was showing no interest at all and within the first 20 minutes or so he actually said that he doesn't see us really needing one, but we have to stay for the whole presentation. Oh fine.

We watched the movie they play and we laughed through it and made whispering comments to each other. We went by the coffee cookie table about 3 times to re-stock (when you're pregnant you can get away with anything).

Then it came to the part I H-A-T-E. The financials. I already know we can't afford it. I mean DUHH, I'm going on mat leave and Colin doesn't have this necessary thing called a "job". But the way they present it, it really does look affordable. Plus, this is our 5th presentation now, and it is by far the best deal out there (just in case you want to get a timeshare, er, "vacation ownership").

I started to feel sick. Were we actually going to buy it? I had to go to the bathroom.

Usually they don't let you leave the table (a sales tactic) but pregnancy is a great excuse. While I was away from the pressure I realized that it was a BAD idea. I pictured my dad's face if I were to tell him I bought a timeshare.

I went back to the table with a clear head, and a shaking head. They made it cheaper and cheaper for us and even brought out the "closer", a Jamacian guy with the most infectious smile you have EVER seen.

But we stayed strong.

As we were signing for the Canucks tickets, the small print said that if the Canucks don't make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs, then we get the $99 refunded, and..... a $100 VISA gift card!! YEE HAW!

From that moment on, I was cheering for Chicago. Well, I was trying to. It's actually harder than you think.

Canucks lost the game on Saturday. One step closer to my $100. When the Canucks lost that game last night I stood up and cheered because now I can go shopping!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

That does make the loss a bit easier to take! Have fun shopping!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home